Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas
After having used chickpeas in hommus and a tasty Moroccan couscous, I wanted to do something quick, easy, and with a twist. After checking out a few roasted chickpea recipes on Pinterest, I decided to go with this one which seemed like the perfect way to turn 1/2 a jar of chickpeas into a healthy, slightly sweet snack.
What you need:
1 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp honey
What you do:
1. Rinse the chickpeas to remove the slippery starchiness on the outside, remove the skin if you like.
2. Lay the chickpeas out on a kitchen towel to dry.
3. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 375F for 45 minutes until it’s no longer soft on the inside. (Most recipes call for baking until the beans are completely dry on the inside but personally I prefer it a little soft and chewy instead of crunch.)
4. Coat the warm chickpeas with oil, sugar, salt and cinnamon and toss to coat evenly.
5. Add the honey while the chickpeas are still warm and toss to coat evenly.
Kick it up Variations
After you have tried basic chickpea roasting, your pantry is the limit when it comes to flavors you can make! Just toss the oven fresh chickpeas with 1/2 tbsp of oil and your favourite combination of seasonings:
Garlic & spices – toss with garlic powder and Tony Chachere’s Spicy Seasoning
Masala – toss with masala or curry powder, hot paprika and salt
Chicken Parmesan – toss with 1 tsp of powdered chicken stock and 1 tbsp grated Parmesan
Got your favorite mix? Please share!
Frozen Watermelon Slushie
Best way to turn a huge watermelon into a cold glass of summer escape.
What you do:
Cut a watermelon into large cubes and place it all in a bowl. Deseed if necessary. Some watermelon juice will naturally accumulate at the bottom, save this for later. Place the cubes into a large freezer bag and flatten it out. Let freeze for at least 3 hours until frozen. Blend the cubes with the juice saved from earlier and a little bit of water if needed. Blend until it reaches a slushy consistency. Take a straw and and plop down on the nearest pool chair.